Surname Brownlowe - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'B'
Brownlowe: What does the surname Brownlowe mean?
The surname Brownlowe is of Anglo-Saxon origin and is a locational name from a place so called in the county of Leicestershire, England. It is derived from the Old English pre 7th Century elements "brun", meaning brown, and "hlaw", meaning low, hill or mound, therefore, "brown hill". The surname dates back to the mid-16th Century when Thomas Brownlowe was christened at All Saints, Weston by Welland, Northamptonshire, on April 26th 1557. The different spellings of the surname include Brownlow, Brownloe, Brunlowe, Bruenlow, and many more. Among the notable people with the Brownlowe surname was Sir John Brownlow, English baronet. Brownlow House in Lurgan, Northern Ireland was named after Charles Brownlow, 1st Baron Lurgan. Today, the surname is distributed in England, Australia, USA, and other parts of the world.
Brownlowe: Where does the name Brownlowe come from?
The surname Brownlowe is of Anglo-Saxon origin, derived from a place name. The name could have been given to an individual living in a location that was characterized by a "brown hill" or "brown mound." The words "brun" which means brown and "hlaw" meaning low hill or mound make up its root in Olde English. The name may refer to various places in England that adopted such characteristics.
One of the earliest written records of the name is from Lincolnshire, where the Brownlow family held a family seat, implying that the surname may have originated there. Over time, the surname spread to various parts of England and later to other English-speaking countries due to migration and colonization.
Today, the surname is most common in England and other English-speaking countries, including the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa. Variations of the last name, such as Brownlow, have also been adopted by individuals residing in these regions. Although not common, it still continues to be a unique identifier for those who possess it.
Variations of the surname Brownlowe
The surname Brownlowe has a number of variants and possible spellings, derived from Old English. It's usually considered a locational name originating from a place called Brownlow in Lancashire or Brownlow Green in Somerset.
Common variants and alternate spellings of the surname Brownlowe include Brownlow, Browne Lowe, Bronlowe, Bronlow, Brounlow, Brounlowe, Brownloe, and Browlow.
It is also found as De Brownlow in some historical documents, with the prefix "De" suggesting a French, Norman origin.
In terms of surnames of the same origin, any surname derived from a geographical or locational name could technically be considered. In this case, since Brownlowe is a locational name, other similar surnames could include those derived from other locations, such as Lancaster, York, or Chester, although these are not closely related. However, direct variants in Brownlowe's evolution from a place name to a surname are not prolific.
It is worthy to note that the variations have generally evolved due to differences in regional accents, illiteracy leading to phonetic misspellings, and slight changes over time. Today, Brownlow is the most commonly used spelling of the surname.
Famous people with the name Brownlowe
- Gary Brownlowe: Gary Brownlowe is a motivational speaker, executive coach, keynote speaker, and author of two books. He has over 30 years of experience as a business and executive coach and has spoken at many conferences and workshops across the globe.
- Adrian Brownlowe: Adrian is a British author, journalist, and former newspaper editor. He is known for being the editor of both The Mail on Sunday and The Sunday Times.
- Lisa Brownlowe: Lisa Brownlowe is a retired professional dancer and choreographer from England. She was born in Nottingham and has been involved in the world of stage and screen for 30 years.
- Bob Brownlowe: Bob Brownlowe is an American actor, director, and writer. He has appeared in numerous television series and films, and is also an accomplished stand-up comedian.
- Michael Brownlowe: Michael Brownlowe is an author, public speaker, and leadership coach. He has written books about leadership, organizational strategy, and change management, and he is an avid traveler who speaks regularly at events around the world.
- Ian Brownlowe: Ian Brownlowe is a British actor, producer, and director. He has appeared in a wide variety of films and television shows, including the original series of Doctor Who, Red Dwarf, and American Werewolf in London.
- Charlotte Brownlowe: Charlotte is an award-winning British journalist and author, with articles featured in The Guardian, Huffington Post, and Harper's Bazaar. She is also the author of two books, both exploring the relationship between fashion and identity.
- Danny Brownlowe: Danny Brownlowe is a musician, composer, and producer from England. He has released many albums, both solo and as part of various bands, and has worked with some of the biggest names in the music industry.