Surname Sabathil - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'S'
Sabathil: What does the surname Sabathil mean?
The last name Sabathil is of Spanish origin and is derived from the Latin word 'sabatarius', meaning 'Saturday's child'. It is believed to have been first used to refer to people born on Saturday or those who performed the Sabbath as a sign of religious piety or devotion.
The Sabathil surname is associated with a strong Christian faith devotion. Over time, the name has spread throughout regions such as Spain, Portugal, and Latin America, as well as some parts of the United states and Germany where people of Spanish descent settled as early immigrants.
In Spain, the Sabathil surname is closely linked to the Catholic Church, which makes it an especially important surname in Spanish-speaking countries. Many members of this family played significant roles in the Catholic Church, from priests to cardinals.
The Sabathil family has a strong sense of tradition and identity and is proud of its family history. Today many are still proud to identify with their family name and consider it an important part of their heritage.
The Sabathil name is steeped history and held in high regard by many. It is a reminder of the commitment that members of this family have to faith, tradition, and identity, and of the integral role the Catholic Church has played in shaping the lives of many Spanish-speaking individuals.Order DNA origin analysis
Sabathil: Where does the name Sabathil come from?
The last name Sabathil is most commonly found in Germany and Austria. It is thought to have originated during the Middle Ages when people began to adopt surnames. The name is believed to come from the Jewish language, translating to Sabbath-like or sabbatical.
In the early 19th century, the Sabathil surname became predominantly associated with the town of Chodzen, which is located in the former East Prussia region of modern-day Poland. From this region, the name could have spread to other parts of Germany and Austria through the immigration of Jews and also possibly migrants of Polish or German heritage.
Today, the last name Sabathil can still be found predominantly in Germany and Austria, although there are a small number of individuals bearing this surname throughout Europe, the United States, and other parts of the world.
In Germany, records indicate that the Sabathil surname is most prominent in Bavaria, with some families residing in larger towns such as Munich and Nuremberg. Similarly, in Austria the surname is most commonly found in the provinces of Lower and Upper Austria, although records show that there are also a few families living in Vienna and the surrounding area.
As a surname, Sabathil is relatively rare, with only hundreds of individuals reported to bear this name based on public records. Despite its rarity, the name is slowly increasing in popularity among families in Germany and Austria, as more and more individuals discover its history and heritage.
Variations of the surname Sabathil
The surname Sabathil is an anomaly in comparison to other surnames in terms of its spelling and variants. Some variants of Sabathil include Sabbathil, Sabbetil, Sabatil, Sabatal, Sabatell, Sabetil and Sabethil.
The spelling for the surname also varies. It typically has an 'h' after the 't', although this is not always the case. Some of its alternate spellings include Sabbathill, Sabbetill, Sabatill, Sabatel, Sabettill, Sabethill and Sabethill.
There are also surnames that have the origin of Sabathil, but are spelled and pronounced differently. Fabut, Sabet, Sabbet, Sabik, Sabith, Sabol, Sabouh, Sapet, Sebait and Subtil are all names that contain the same origin as the surname Sabathil.
Although the origin of the surname is often debated, it is most likely of Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, German or Arabic origin. This is due to the consensus that the surname is likely to have come from when the Spanish, Portuguese and Italian lineages immigrated to Germany and Arabic countries.
Regardless, the ipse name Sabathil is rare, yet quite prominent and many of its alternate spellings and surnames are also common.
Famous people with the name Sabathil
- Andrew Sabathil: Andrew Sabathil is a German footballer who plays as a midfielder for VfB Oldenburg.
- Francesco Sabathil: Francesco Sabathil is an Italian comedian, actor, and comedian known for his appearances in numerous Italian variety shows.
- Bruce Sabathil: Bruce Sabathil is an American actor who is best known for his role as "Big P oha" in the comedy feature film Straight Outta Compton.
- Divina Sabathil: Divina Sabathil is a Spanish actress, best known for her roles in films such as Women On The Verge of a Nervous Breakdown and The Mystery Of The Rose Bouquet.
- Juliana Sabathil: Juliana Sabathil is a Brazilian actress, best known for her roles in soap operas such as Amor à Vida and Anjo Mau.
- Luka Sabathil: Luka Sabathil is an Austrian-Croatian film director, best known for his films Adidas vs. Puma and German Hero.
- Dimitri Sabathil: Dimitri Sabathil is a French soccer goalkeeper who currently plays for the Swiss club Lausanne-Sport.
- Jessica Sabathil: Jessica Sabathil is a German actress, best known for her roles in German films such as The Wave and When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit.
- Marcos Sabathil: Marcos Sabathil is a Chilean retired footballer who played for several clubs in Chile and Mexico.
- Raika Sabathil: Raika Sabathil is a Slovenian jazz singer and actress, best known for her work with Jazz Skupina.