Surname Smithhart - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'S'
Smithhart: What does the surname Smithhart mean?
The surname Smithhart is an English toponymic name derived from the Old English term 'smithe,' meaning a blacksmith. Historically, this would refer to a person who is the descendant of an individual who worked as a smith or blacksmith.
The name usually developed when individuals moved to another area and took their professionally derived surname with them. In Old English, the word 'hart' indicated a person of strength and courage, so the amalgamation of 'smith' and 'hart' into Smithhart is a reflection of this reputation.
It could also refer to someone living near or employed by a blacksmith. The use of the 'h' in the name Smithhart may also be a variant of its original spelling, 'Smiter.' This is a much less common variant of the name, but is still a possible origin of the surname.
The name Smithhart is a proud reminder of bravery, strength, and skill. It serves as a testament to the hardworking spirit of a blacksmith, as well as the ability of families to take their craft with them wherever they went.
Smithhart: Where does the name Smithhart come from?
The last name Smithhart is most commonly found in North America and the United Kingdom.
In the United States, Smithhart is the 544th most common last name, with approximately 20,650 individuals sharing the name. The majority of these individuals (14,561) are concentrated around the Great Lakes region (Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois). Smithhart is also among the top four hundred surnames in Hawaii, where 1,556 individuals carry the name.
In the United Kingdom, Smithhart ranks at 4,745th on the list of most commonly found last names. Approximately 15,788 individuals living in the UK share the Smithhart last name, with the most common living in London (3,087 individuals).
Smithhart is also prevalent in Canada, where it ranks 790th on the list of the top last names. About 4,282 individuals share the name, with the vast majority living in Ontario (2,524 individuals) and Quebec (541 individuals).
In Australia, the Smithhart surname is less popular, ranking 4,606th in the list of most common surnames. Approximately 964 individuals share the last name in the country.
In other countries, the frequency of the Smithhart surname varies; however it is often uncommon. In New Zealand, the name ranks 3,097th in the list of the most popular surnames, and in South Africa, the last name ranks 8,793th.
Variations of the surname Smithhart
The surname Smithhart can have various alternate spellings and forms. It can be spelt as "Smidhart", "Schmidhardt" and "Schmidhart". It may also appear in its longer single-word form “Schmidhartin”.
Another variant of this surname is the spelling “Schmidthart” and the combination of surnames “Schmid & Hart”. These variants are likely the result of the combination of two surnames i.e. “Schmidt”, meaning ‘smith’, and “Hart”, meaning ‘hard’ or ‘brave’.
An alternate spelling of Smithhart is the surname Smidhard. This surname is likely derived from Dutch occupational surnames of smit and hard, which mean respectively ‘smith’ and ‘hard’. It may also be derived from the Germanic words smid or schmidt, which mean ‘smith’.
Variants of Smithhart can also appear as Smethard, Smetherd, Smythard, Smitherd, and Smithers. These forms are often derived from patronymic or matronymic descriptors, meaning ‘son of or daughter of Smith.’
The surnames Smithart, Schmidthart and Smidhart are all found in English-speaking countries. In Germany, this surname is spelt Schmidthart and Schmidhardt, with Schmidhart being the most common spelling. In Dutch, the surname is spelt as Smidhart.
Overall, Smithhart can be written as Smithhart, Schmidthart, Schmidhardt, Schmidhart, Smidhart, Smethard, Smetherd, Smythard, Smitherd, Smithers, and Schmid & Hart.
Famous people with the name Smithhart
- Mark Smithhart: Mark Smithhart is an American retired professional baseball pitcher. He played in Major League Baseball from 1970 to 1976 for the Houston Astros, San Diego Padres, and Oakland Athletics.
- Troy Smithhart: Troy Smithhart is an American actor best known for his roles in television shows such as Dynasty and Charmed.
- Cassandra Smithhart: Cassandra Smithhart is an American actress best known for her role as Maria Espinosa on the CBS soap opera, The Bold and the Beautiful.
- Brian Smithhart: Brian Smithhart is an American recording engineer and record producer. He has worked with artists such as Paul McCartney, Queen, Toto, and Pete Townshend.
- Stephanie Smithhart: Stephanie Smithhart is an American children’s book author and illustrator known for creating the series “Lisette and the Magic Paintbrush.”
- Michele Smithhart: Michele Smithhart is an American film producer and director, best known for producing the documentaries “My Sister’s Keeper” and “Heart of the South.”
- Liz Smithhart: Liz Smithhart is an American singer-songwriter and guitarist who has released five solo albums.
- Don Smithhart: Don Smithhart is an American former professional basketball player who played in the NBA for the Chicago Bulls and the Philadelphia 76ers.
- Robert Smithhart: Robert Smithhart is an American author and painter whose works focus on abstract landscapes.
- Josh Smithhart: Josh Smithhart is an American music producer and audio engineer who has worked with artists such as Weezer, Jewel, Matchbox Twenty, Amy Grant, and Brad Paisley.