Surname Brownhill - Meaning and Origin
all surnames with 'B'
Brownhill: What does the surname Brownhill mean?
The surname Brownhill is of English origin, and is derived from a geographical location. It refers to a house or other structure which was built on a hill or small mountain, and is covered in brown soil or vegetation. The name itself is likely a combination of the words "brown" and "hill".
The Brownhill name can be traced back to the Middle Ages, where it was primarily found on the border between England and Wales. It was also seen in other parts of Britain, such as Norfolk, Lancashire and Yorkshire. In all areas, the name was linked with the noble family of the same name, who were a prominent force in English history.
The Brownhill coat of arms which was granted to them in 1584 featured a chevron, representing their position of strength. The colours of the crest are brown and gold, again denoting their status.
Today, the Brownhill name is still prominent in many parts of the United Kingdom, and the name is also found throughout the US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. It is a symbol of strength, loyalty and integrity; traits which are common amongst those bearing the Brownhill surname.
Brownhill: Where does the name Brownhill come from?
The last name Brownhill is most commonly found today in the United States, United Kingdom, Ireland, and Canada. In the United States, the highest concentrations of the name are found in the southern states of South Carolina and Georgia, although smaller populations can be found in other states. According to the US Census, Brownhill is also the 534th most popular name in the US.
In the UK, Brownhill is the 311th most popular name and is concentrated mainly in the county of Lancashire in the North West of England. It is also found in other parts of the UK and Ireland.
The Canadian provinces of Ontario, Alberta, and British Columbia also have notable populations of Brownhill. In fact, the Ontario province has the highest concentration of the name among all Canadian provinces with over 2,000 people bearing the name.
Brownhill is also found elsewhere in the world like Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa.
Variations of the surname Brownhill
The surname Brownhill has many variants, spellings and surnames of the same origin, including Brownale, Brownall, Brownehill, Brownell, Brownhal, Brownhale, Brownhall, Brownhil, Brownhill, and Bronhill.
The most common spelling of the surname is Brownhill. This spelling is derived from the Old English words “brun” and “hyll” which translate to “brown” and “hill” respectively. This would suggest that the original bearers of this name lived on or near a small hill that was brown in colour.
The other variants, spellings and surnames of the same origin may indicate that the original spelling might have adapted over time and in different geographical areas. The spelling ‘Brownall’ usually originates from Yorkshire while ‘Brownale’ is mainly seen in Lincolnshire and parts of Scotland.
The spelling ‘Brownell’ is a mainly found in Scotland, Northumberland, and Durham, and is possibly of Scandinavian origin, coming from the Old Norse words “briun” and “hola”, which mean “bridge” and “pocket” respectively.
The surname ‘Brownhal’, which is less commonly seen, is derived from the Old English ‘burh’ and ‘halh’, which mean ‘stronghold’ and ‘nook’ respectively.
The variant ‘Brownhale’ can be found mainly in parts of Kent and Hertfordshire, while ‘Brownhall’ is associated with Staffordshire, and ‘Brownhil’ can be found mainly in Yorkshire and Durham.
Finally, ‘Bronhill’ is a variant found mainly in Derbyshire. This spelling is derived from the Old English words “bronnen” and “hyll”, which mean “lively” and “hill” respectively.
Famous people with the name Brownhill
- TeeJay Brownhill: Soccer player from England who plays at West Bromwich Albion in the Premier League.
- Tasha Brownhill: Celebrity makeup artist from the United Kingdom.
- Georgia Brownhill: English professional golfer competing in the Ladies European Tour (LET)
- Zoe Brownhill: Professional dancer from the UK, who is best known for appearing on the 2021 series of The Masked Singer.
- Andy Brownhill: Musician from the UK who is the lead singer of Dead City Sunrise
- Eleanor Brownhill: English cricket player who plays for the North West Thunderbirds
- Ben Brownhill: Professional basketball player from Scotland who is currently playing in the British Basketball League
- Tim Brownhill: Actor from England, who is known for his roles in television shows such as Doctor Who and Foyle's War.
- Josh Brownhill: English professional footballer who plays at Burnley in the Premier League.
- Christopher Brownhill: English sports commentator and journalist who is currently the voice of BBC Sport.